We bring 20+ years of experience helping patients deal with various addictions. We perform assessments to plan the best path to recovery for you. A team of professionals is always by your side. Detox the right way with Neworld!
Are you or someone you know struggling with a methadone addiction? Are you interested in knowing more about the available methadone detox and treatment options? The staff at Neworld are experts in providing safe, medically-supervised detox in a comfortable home-like environment. When you stay with us, our team of Nurse Practitioners tend to your complete needs with compassion and care. You’ll also have the support of a dedicated Recovery Coordinator with experience helping people just like you detox from methadone addiction, as well as a specialized onsite psychiatrist.
Our warm and friendly team is ready to assist you in starting our detox program, setting you on the path to recovery. Contact us now to get started, or learn what makes our detox experience special!
Methadone Addiction Detox and Treatment
- A sudden stop of methadone or lowered use can cause withdrawal syndrome. The discomfort that comes with the symptoms may increase the chance of relapse.
- When taking your previous or higher dose of methadone after stopping or tapering use, there is a serious risk of overdose due to reduced tolerance (1). Always follow your doctor’s instructions when changing your dose.
- The safest method of dealing with methadone addiction is with the guidance of a healthcare provider. The qualified health care team at Neworld will guide you or your loved one dealing with methadone addiction on the safest ways of approaching recovery, lowering the risk of health concerns and relapse.
- We are committed to delivering a safe and effective methadone addiction detox program and will help you plan the next stage of addiction treatment for the best chances of lasting recovery.
- Pursing long-term addiction treatment is strongly recommended in combination with detox, as withdrawal management alone does not treat substance use disorder (2).
Methadone Abuse and Addiction in Toronto and Ontario
- The Canadian government pioneered methadone maintenance treatment in the 1960s. The treatment effectively improves a patient’s key health and is regarded as the criterion standard for opioid-agnostic therapy (3).
- To control methadone abuse, the Government of Canada imposed several restrictions but implemented federal regulations for methadone maintenance treatment (4).
- In the late 1990s, the government shifted the regulations from the federal government to the provincial administration. In Ontario, the improved regulations allowed for the involvement of community pharmacies in the distribution of methadone (3).
- The changes in regulations increased the availability of methadone assisted treatment in Ontario and Toronto.
- Methadone addiction is an increasing problem that can be challenging to overcome due to the effects of the drug on the body. Methadone prescription is administered to persons struggling with opioid addiction as a way of transitioning to a methadone-based therapy plan (2).
- Unfortunately, prolonged use of methadone can result in dependence and addiction (1). This makes it challenging for people to stop the use of methadone without professional support.
Neworld Medical Detox is a trusted provider of safe detox for people living with methadone addiction. Getting started can be hard, but you don’t have to do it alone.
How long do Methadone Withdrawal Symptoms Last?
Various factors determine the duration of methadone withdrawal for different people (5).
- The symptoms may last about two to three weeks.
- When methadone use is stopped, the withdrawal symptoms may take from one to three days before starting.
- Initial methadone withdrawal symptoms are usually physical, such as cramps, nausea, diarrhea and sweating.
- After the first week of withdrawal, psychological symptoms are likely to occur, including drug cravings, loss of motivation, anxiety and depression.
Methadone Detox Treatment at Neworld Detox
At Neworld, we follow the guidelines outlined by the Canadian Medical Association, which recommend physicians initiate opioid agonist therapy with buprenorphine-naloxone whenever feasible (2).
The association recommends initiating opioid agonist therapy with methadone only in medical cases where buprenorphine-naloxone therapy is not the preferred option.
Advantages of Buprenorphine-naloxone
- Lower overdose risk
- Reduced potential for respiratory depression
- Lower risk of adverse effects and drug interactions
- Milder withdrawal symptoms than methadone
Neworld Medical Detox respects every person’s right to choose between methadone and buprenorphine-naloxone.
Start Your Recovery with Neworld Detox in Ontario
Putting a stop to problem substance use is never an easy task, especially when dealing with addiction to methadone. Our team of experts at Neworld in Ontario are ready to help people with methadone addiction with safe detox support.
Information on this page is for informational purposes only, and does not replace personalized medical advice. You should never make any decisions about your health without consulting a healthcare professional, especially when related to substance use or mental health. To speak to a qualified member of our team for personalized advice, you can contact us here.
Over 20 years Experience
Over 20 years of experience focused on medical detox
Specialize in Methadone
We specialize in getting you off Methadone
Every client receives an individualized assessment from our counselors
We offer our services in Ontario.
5 Star facility
We are a 5 Star facility in a cozy and upscale countryside setting
Tailored treatment protocol following the most updated detox methods
A highly professional and dedicated team with extensive expertise in a variety of treatment areas
High Client Satisfaction
We deliver on-hand care and help clients to get ready for a new world.